Thread: Why do we not play new games anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Achievements Taking The Plunge

For me it is theory 4 BECAUSE of theory 1.
    I look at the price of a new game I want and think, nah... got too many games already . If the games were cheaper, I might have gotten it and put it on my to-do list or even play it immediately if I felt like it.

Another reason as well would be because the games are "incomplete". If I see a game and a season pass for the game, I'm already out. Then I rather wait until all the DLC has been released or wait for a cheaper goty or complete edition or massive special where I can buy both for around 50% of the original base game's price. It is why I didn't buy the new Wolfenstein during the previous sale.

No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

All of the above.

New games are too expensive : BF1 - R949.95; SWBF2 R1,149.95; Halo Wars 2 R999

I just end up waiting for a Steam sale or some other form of discount and then I buy what I want for 80+% less than the launch price.

Broken new game PTSD & New games can be shit :
    I'm super weary of a specific big publisher (EA), but the shenanigans doesn't begin and end with them. New titles in established franchises from certain studios/publishers just seem like a huge money grab most of the time. New IP is also a minefield. Plus you can't trust most of the reviewers either, as everything is rated 7-9/10 with "Excellent", "Fantastic" and "Outstanding" as the taglines. I mean even SWBF2 got a "A spectacular, occasionally very fun tour of Star Wars battles" and ME:A gets a "this vast new sci-fi frontier rewards dedicated exploration". WTF, I'm currently playing ME:A (it's on Orgin Access, since I won't pay "one million dollars" for it) and I'm frustrated by the lack of polish in the title. It's Mass Effect minus an epic story, minus Shepard, minus decent acting or voice actors lathered with mediocre everything.

We have too many games already : You can never have enough he says with 27 unplayed titles just in his Steam library. Maybe one day I'll get into Dragon Age (which by the way I just cannot seem to get into at all)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Personally it's all the burns from Ea, ubisoft with their games either half done, not working,buggy or just frustrating to play. When it comes to new multi player,I look to see if there are local servers otherwise I just completely ignore the game.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 8: Darksiders - Horseman of the Apocalypse. MyGame Challenge 4: Grim Dawn - Survived the aetherial apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by DieGrootHammer View Post
    So, what's your reason for not buying new games?
    I play(ed) too much Dota 2. It's a lot easier to justify playing a quick multiplayer match, than it is to dedicate the amount of time some single-player games require. ie:

Name:  corsair-losg4.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  197.2 KB

Then of course there is this:

Name:  life-of-a-gamer.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  18.3 KB

I do feel that some of your theories have merit; number 4 especially applies to me. Theory 2 also applies a little bit considering I only completed RotTR recently (even though I pre-ordered it), but that was more a case of me waiting until I could run the game at its max settings rather than the game being particularly broken at launch.

Personally I feel like there aren't that many good or even great single player games coming out or the ones that do end up being exclusive to a platform I don't own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

For me, all of those have an impact on why I decided not to buy a game when it launches. Some games I just don't buy because there is no way I am spending R1000 on "Generic shooter X", or I just wont buy anything by certain publishers (cough EA cough). In other cases I look at a game and my library and look at the amount of similar games I havent played in there and decide to let it go. And then there is purely just time.

One reason I might add is, "Is this just another rehash (read money cow) of the previous version of this game or other similar games?"

That does not mean I won't consider paying R1k for a game if it really has my attention though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

On an oldish laptop so can't play the latest and greatest. I'll probably get a new laptop/desktop in time for cyberpunk77.

Theory 1: New games are too expensive
    Depends on the target market. Don't think it's a big deal for people already earning.

Theory 2: Broken new game PTSD
    Not me, but perhaps I'm not scared because I never bought latest anyway

Theory 3: New games can be shit
    Yeah waiting a bit is a no-brainer unless it's a multiplayer game

Theory 4: We have too many games already
    True true
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoFish View Post
    Maybe one day I'll get into Dragon Age (which by the way I just cannot seem to get into at all)
    I thought it's just me. I've played around 2-3 hours of Origins and Inquisition and didn't enjoy either of them. I honestly wish I did, because they're apparently great games.
    --~<0>~-- {type}DEV --~<0>~--

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats
    Awards MyGame Challenge 6: Spec Ops: The Line - Had an encounter with Willie Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Depends on the target market. Don't think it's a big deal for people already earning.
    Even though I'm earning a fairly decent living, I seldom (if ever) justify buying a game at full price. Maybe it's because I don't play multiplayer games and can afford to wait a couple of months for the release-hype to die down and the game to be available at a discounted price?

Not me, but perhaps I'm not scared because I never bought latest anyway
    Same here. Refer to my comment above.

Yeah waiting a bit is a no-brainer unless it's a multiplayer game
    That's pretty much why I wait for games - I don't play multiplayer games. Guess I'm stuck in the olden days of singleplayer gaming. When I do get around to playing games with a multiplayer component (like Diablo 3 or Forza Horizon 3) I can do so without it affecting my enjoyment of the title.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

Quote Originally Posted by FarligOpptreden View Post
    Even though I'm earning a fairly decent living, I seldom (if ever) justify buying a game at full price.
    I guess it's a case of whether one can afford it vs being cost conscious.

Most earning reasonably well *could* buy them at current prices I think even though they don't. That's why I'm saying affordability is probably not the main issue for that demographic.

There is just no real incentive to do so
    #hashtag #anotherhashtag #bonushashtag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    MyGaming Rank
    MyGaming Stats

I guess it's a case of whether one can afford it vs being cost conscious.

Most earning reasonably well *could* buy them at current prices I think even though they don't. That's why I'm saying affordability is probably not the main issue for that demographic.

There is just no real incentive to do so
    I understand where you're coming from. I can afford a lot of things if I really wanted to spend the money, but I don't. My biggest purchase is probably our house (which is still bonded, obviously) and we're planning on doing some extensions on it next year - enough to add a bit more space (and a room or two), but not enough to over-capitalise versus the surrounding houses. I have no issue spending money on the house, but games I find hard to justify...