Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WOW starter questions

Default WOW starter questions

Hi, my friends convinced me to start playing WOW with them, I have some questions about starting WOW.

1. I understand there is a US en EU server, but then every 1 start talking about the diff realm names, ( I understand that there is the PvE and PvP realms) but there sounds so many

2. Everytime some one talk about rolling a char or a realm, I can't figure it out the meaning

Thx for any help. just waiting for my internet to get re-connected then I can start and maybe meet some of you people and have some fun

Glad to hear you're signing your life away... I feel obligated to tell you though that WoW is an INCREDIBLE time sink!

1. There are 2 "versions" of WoW if you could call it that. The US/Oceanic version and the European one. Don't ask me what the difference is, all I know is there is one and it even affects subscription fees. If you have a US account, you can't play on an EU game installation or server.

There are TONS of servers, with an average of about 10,000 people per server. Some server populations are very high while others are fairly low - both have their pro's and cons. As I mentioned in my other thread you get 3 different types of realms (servers), PvE , PvP, RPPvP. Ultimately you'll be joining the realm that your friends are already on - all you need to do is ask them which one to choose.

2. Rolling a char = Creating a new character. You can have a maximum of 10 characters per realm (I think) and they all have to be on the same faction. Alliance/Horde. You can send mail (money, items, whatnot) between all your characters on the same server.

Rolling on a new realm = making a new character on a different server. If you have 1000 gold on a character on Server A, you can't send any of it to a character you made on Server B.

The 1st thing you need to do is read through the URL links in my Epic WoW starter guide to decide which type of character you want. Ask your friends if they are horde or alliance, and make your choice from there on.

Feel free to ask any more questions here!

And we loose another great player to WoW... When will it end.

Voicy pretty much said it. Most guys here will be on an EU server. Playing on a PvP or PvE server is really a matter of preference which you probably won't know about until you've played a while. PvP you get to be killed by Lvl 80's while you're trying to level yourself. PvE is probably a bit easier in that sense, but a little less fun for me personally.

If you are a noob I think it's best to start on the PvE server first then once you have a hold of WOW try out PvP server.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptor View Post
    If you are a noob I think it's best to start on the PvE server first then once you have a hold of WOW try out PvP server.
    Nah I don't know about that hey. Personally I'd rather kill whoever is ninja'ing the forest boars I have to kill than wait for him/her to finish.

Plus, arguably the most fun in the game is the thrill of the unknown - always weary of that rogue that will gank you or running into a group and waiting to see if they'll attack.

I enjoy raiding etc, but it's so much fun if someone is getting ganked (Attacked and corpse camped/ getting repeatedly killed by an opposite faction player) and letting your guild come to the rescue.

To me PvE has no point in splitting up the alliance/horde ... and the game becomes far more exciting with the "real" danger behind the safety of your lands.

To this day I still remember my very 1st kill. I was a lvl 25 rogue, the warrior was a lvl 34 - in Ashenvale as we (myself and 2 lvl 19's) passed through I saw the hordie and thought I'd give this ganking thing a go. I told my 2 mates to wait behind and I cleaned up the hordie without him getting in a single shot

We obviously then ran off quickly. But he obviously wasn't very happy being owned by a character 9 levels below him & called in for help. Soon we were corpse camped by him and 2 lvl 60s repeatedly. We then called in our guild for help - within 5 minutes we had 4 lvl 70s come to our aid in true cavalry style - which in turn caused the hordies to bring in a few more of theirs. Eventually this turned into a full on brawl when every single lvl 70 in our guild came to the party.

Nicely answered mate, I've got a few "corrections" where things where not 100 technically accurate.

There are TONS of servers, with an average of about 10,000 people per server. Some server populations are very high while others are fairly low - both have their pro's and cons. As I mentioned in my other thread you get 3 different types of realms (servers), PvE , PvP, RPPvP. Ultimately you'll be joining the realm that your friends are already on - all you need to do is ask them which one to choose.
    Technically there are 4 types of realms (unless it's changed in the last 2 months), the last being RP which is a role play PvE server. Pretty much exactly like a normal PvE server except Role play is more required/enforced. In the same was a RPPvP is to PvP.

2. Rolling a char = Creating a new character. You can have a maximum of 10 characters per realm (I think) and they all have to be on the same faction. Alliance/Horde. You can send mail (money, items, whatnot) between all your characters on the same server.
    It is only on the PVP and RPPvP realms that all the characters have to be of the same faction. On PvE and RPPvE you can have both horde and alliance, but you can't send stuff from your horde characters to you alliance ones or visa versa. Also you cannot communicate with members of the opposite faction apart from a few emotes.
    Smith & Wesson Jr was a son of a gun.

Hehe I've pretty much only played on the PvE servers but I always laugh my ass of when all the lvl 1-5 noobs start freaking out when they see a hordie in Goldshire. That and when lv 40ish hordies go to westfall and gank everything... people wonder why I always have one of my 70's parked in the inn there.

Damn it Voicy look what you've done, you made me want to play again.
    /kicks Voicy in his panty

Hi, my names .... and I'm a wow junkie, it's been 2 moths and 14 days since I last logged in.
    Smith & Wesson Jr was a son of a gun.

Ah my apologies - I've only rolled on PvP servers.

I'm pretty sure you can make use of Booty Bay / Gadgetzan auction houses to transfer money across accounts by listing a shred of linen cloth for 100g.

Thx for the answers.

I was a Guildwars addict for 3 years a year back, so I have enough experience with PvE, I will definitely go the PvP road, as it sounds much more fun.Played some PvP battles and got owned most of the time, but when I owned someone it feels good. I always hear or read of other people adventures and mishaps, and now I can experience them myself, hopefully soon. Thx for the info about only 1 side on PvP, I wanted to try allied and horde, but seems like I will only support allied and get hunted by horde.

It also sounds like I need to find myself some high levels friends to help out in times of need.

oja I got the EU version, I will post what realm I'm joining.