Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UK Defence Secretary Calls for Medal of Honor Ban

The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar

Default UK Defence Secretary Calls for Medal of Honor Ban

UK Defence Secretary Liam Fox has joined the growing chorus criticizing EA's forthcoming Medal of Honor, a game that takes place amidst the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan.

"It's shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban," Fox said, "At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands."

"I am disgusted and angry," Fox continued, "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

Medal of Honor has also come in for criticism from Fox News for its subject matter. "We've just come off of the worst month of casualties in the whole war," anchor Karen Meredith said in a recent report, "and this game is going to be released in October - so families who are burying their children are going to be seeing this, and playing this game."

While games drawing upon contemporary battles are no new thing, few have been as explicit as Medal of Honor which features multiplayer modes that draw upon the conflict and that have come in for criticism from fellow developers. "I find it quite unsettling with Medal of Honor," Codemasters' Sion Lenton, producer on Operation Flashpoint games, "I'm not sure if I want to play as the Taliban shooting American soldiers. That's a live conflict and you have to treat it with maximum respect."

EA has defended the game, telling The Sunday Times "The format of the new Medal of Honor game merely reflects the fact that every conflict has two sides."

"We give gamers the opportunity to play both sides. Most of us have been doing this since we were seven: someone plays the cop, someone must be robber. In Medal of Honor multiplayer, someone's got to be the Taliban."

Medal of Honor's producer Greg Goodrich also came to the game's defence, telling IGN, "Medal of Honor has always been historical fiction. Since it was created back in '99 it's always told the soldier's story. The war has always been a backdrop in the vein of Saving Private Ryan where it's a band of fictional characters in a historical event. There are a lot of specific battles that have been spoken about, but for this MoH we thought we'd focus on the soldier's story, the brotherhood, and the camaraderie regardless of the timeframe."

Medal of Honor is due out this October
    UK Defense Secretary calls for MOH ban - added by Tinman

For Crying out loud. Now its "un-british". These people obviously know nothing about the way the game works. In multi-player its not like there is going to be a Suicide bomber perk or anything. This is the same as the racism thing in L4D2 and RES5. They read half the story and jump on the band wagon.

The outcry about MW2's "terrorist scene" I can still grasp but this...

I think setting a game in a current conflict is incredible brave, this has the ability to spread more awareness of this conflict. Especially if it is able to tell a convincing story.
    Last edited by Tinman; 23-08-2010 at 01:07 PM.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

LMAO - this is what happens when people who know nothing about gaming suddenly hears of something like Medal of Honor and want to give their 5 cents, no matter how clueless it is.

So what! The game mirrors the war in Afghanistan. Now you want to cry about people "shooting American Soldiers" but one of the highest selling games in AMERICA and in the UK is Grand Theft Auto where the rule is to break every human law possible but that's okay?? As long as you don't shoot soldiers? Please....go shoot civilians and hookers and general innocent people, just don't shoot the soldiers.

MORONS. That guy is right though, he is 100% British, and that means he's 100% clueless.
    My ignore list: growing too fast to keep updating.

OMW please keep a history book away from him
    Evil meet my Sword. Sword, meet Evil!

Because of this, I think I might just buy the game. Even if I'm not an EA supporter.

The singularity is about to explode! Weapons are at maximum.

This is only for the multiplayer right? If so, it will be entirely unconvincing. Image a team of Taliban running around saying "fsking hax!!" or "tuber p**s" all the time.

This is simply a politician playing to the masses. He knows there are far more voters out there who have no real clue what the game is about and thus support his actions than there are voters who play the games. He stands to gather more votes as as an obvious result.

If he knew anything about anything, he would know that never mind that retailers will not throw away business on this, that even if they did, anyone can still order and get the game via Steam or some other Digital download service.

Liam Fox is a biased facist!

Quote Originally Posted by DenSweeP View Post
    This is simply a politician playing to the masses. He knows there are far more voters out there who have no real clue what the game is about and thus support his actions than there are voters who play the games. He stands to gather more votes as as an obvious result.

If he knew anything about anything, he would know that never mind that retailers will not throw away business on this, that even if they did, anyone can still order and get the game via Steam or some other Digital download service.
    Or simply have the DVD imported.

The singularity is about to explode! Weapons are at maximum.

The Resident Young'un Magnarmalok's Avatar

This is going to be just as successful as the MW2 dedi servers sanction. Fuckall shall be achieved.

Most of us have been doing this since we were seven: someone plays the cop, someone must be robber. In Medal of Honor multiplayer, someone's got to be the Taliban."

That line made me rofl
    I accidentally put two contacts in one eye, now I can see myself for who I really am.