Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: European kids upset by internet sex

  1. #1
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default European kids upset by internet sex


    Brussels - One in eight European children have been "bothered or upset" by content on the internet such as sex, bullying or hate speech, according to a survey by the group EU Kids Online.
    The organisation polled 23 420 children aged 9 to 16 across 25 European Union countries on online risks including pornography, bullying, receiving sexual messages, and face-to-face contacts with strangers.
    A quarter of children surveyed in Denmark and Estonia were upset by what they encountered on the web, while 21% of children from Romania and Sweden reported the same problems.
    Fewer children said they were bothered by what they saw on the internet in Germany (8%), Portugal (7%) and Italy (6%).
    "Most children do not report being bothered or upset by going online," the study stressed.
    Suicide

    The survey found that 14% of children reported seeing sexual images on the internent in the previous 12 months and one in three admitted being bothered by what they saw.
    Twelve percent of children said they were exposed to hate speech, 11% received pro-anorexia messages, 7% saw drug-related content and 5% saw content about suicide.
    The chances of exposure to risky online content are higher for older children: 13% for those aged nine to 10, 32% for 11 to 12 year olds, 49% for 13 to 14 year olds and 61% for 15 to 16 year olds.
    The study also found that children are surfing the web at ever younger ages: as young as seven in Sweden and eight in other northern European nations.
    Across Europe, one third of children 9 to 10 years old go online every day, while three-quarters of 15 to 16 year olds surf the internet.
    Source

    Now this could just be me but I thought we choose what we view on the net. I mean regular surfing is not going to expose u to these things that "upset" the kiddies.

    and face-to-face contacts with strangers
    Because going out of ur house would not cause you to come into contact with strangers
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFenix22 View Post


    Source

    Now this could just be me but I thought we choose what we view on the net. I mean regular surfing is not going to expose u to these things that "upset" the kiddies.



    Because going out of ur house would not cause you to come into contact with strangers
    Just remember dude, the people we meet on the "street" as you say are much more reserved than some of the sickos you will find on the net.. People abuse the anonymity on the net and that's the truth. You say normal browsing won't expose you to all the shite? Well..Sometimes when I'm looking for solutions to Networking related problems on forums, for example, I see people bashing at each other for no particular reason. There's no way in telling what you might see anywhere on the net.

    Call me conservative, but I actually think this is a good sign that the kids are saying it bothers them so that at least shows that not all of them are a bunch of runts. It's good to know that some people are still bothered by such disgraceful behavior.

    Just my opinion though

  3. #3
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by to0kenZA View Post
    Just remember dude, the people we meet on the "street" as you say are much more reserved than some of the sickos you will find on the net.. People abuse the anonymity on the net and that's the truth. You say normal browsing won't expose you to all the shite? Well..Sometimes when I'm looking for solutions to Networking related problems on forums, for example, I see people bashing at each other for no particular reason. There's no way in telling what you might see anywhere on the net.

    Call me conservative, but I actually think this is a good sign that the kids are saying it bothers them so that at least shows that not all of them are a bunch of runts. It's good to know that some people are still bothered by such disgraceful behavior.

    Just my opinion though
    We bash each other on here regularly but thats no reason to get "upset".
    The face to face contact they are talking about is meeting people from the net in real life and that doesn't just happen.

    To me it just sounds as if people are blaming the net instead of saying "ok, the human race are a bunch of inbred, dog humping, invertabreds lets educate our children on how to be safer while surfing the information super highway."
    I mean you teach your children to look both ways before crossing the road, not to take candy from strangers or get into their cars. You teach them that sticking ur finger in a plug will result in a nasty shock. So why is it that people keep expecting other people to make the internet safer? Is it not your own responsibility to take the initative and do it yourself for your children?

    It is the same as this continual violent video game debate. They want to regulate the industy, ban the sale of these games to minors or ban gaming in general instead of going "Ok you decided to push out the little critter now take some fucking responsibilty and take some intrest in what you child does. Dont buy him the latest 'Revense of the Nerd III - A bloody adventure of grusome and ultraviolent proportions.'"

    Well thats my opinion of it anyways.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFenix22 View Post
    We bash each other on here regularly but thats no reason to get "upset".
    The face to face contact they are talking about is meeting people from the net in real life and that doesn't just happen.

    To me it just sounds as if people are blaming the net instead of saying "ok, the human race are a bunch of inbred, dog humping, invertabreds lets educate our children on how to be safer while surfing the information super highway."
    I mean you teach your children to look both ways before crossing the road, not to take candy from strangers or get into their cars. You teach them that sticking ur finger in a plug will result in a nasty shock. So why is it that people keep expecting other people to make the internet safer? Is it not your own responsibility to take the initative and do it yourself for your children?

    It is the same as this continual violent video game debate. They want to regulate the industy, ban the sale of these games to minors or ban gaming in general instead of going "Ok you decided to push out the little critter now take some fucking responsibilty and take some intrest in what you child does. Dont buy him the latest 'Revense of the Nerd III - A bloody adventure of grusome and ultraviolent proportions.'"

    Well thats my opinion of it anyways.
    I hear you, man. And I agree! It's the same concept of understand it, then you don't have to learn it. Teach your kids well and they will know how to make responsible decisions.

    Maybe these parents should supervise their kids a little more before sending them into the the world of the interwebz . It is a jungle out there, after all.

  5. #5

    Default

    I know that you can "choose" to see what you want on the internet, but dude, just the other day we had an add on MyGaming that was sexually provocative - and this isn't exactly an adult site. Also, look at the language being used on this forum - do you want your 7 year old kid to read what other twisted people on here, like me, have to say?

    My kids will have access to the internet - but ALL of their access will be supervised by either my wife or myself. The internet has caused me to see things which I've never wanted to see in my life - I'm not going to let the "online generation" ruin my kids. I think parents of today have a lot of responsibility to ensure that their kids don't get up to nonsense online - the sad part is most parents don't realize the risk because they're too busy surfing porn themselves.
    My ignore list: growing too fast to keep updating.

  6. #6
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I know that you can "choose" to see what you want on the internet, but dude, just the other day we had an add on MyGaming that was sexually provocative - and this isn't exactly an adult site. Also, look at the language being used on this forum - do you want your 7 year old kid to read what other twisted people on here, like me, have to say?

    My kids will have access to the internet - but ALL of their access will be supervised by either my wife or myself. The internet has caused me to see things which I've never wanted to see in my life - I'm not going to let the "online generation" ruin my kids. I think parents of today have a lot of responsibility to ensure that their kids don't get up to nonsense online - the sad part is most parents don't realize the risk because they're too busy surfing porn themselves.
    There u go, you have taken the plunge and said "I am responsible for what my children see on the net."

    Stupid as that banner was, it was a far cry from provocative, you kid is likely to see more procatactive images in the magazines your wife buys (cosmo anyone).

    I fully agree by not wanting ur child to be exposed certain material online (swearing, hate speech whatever) but the big bad world isn't full of people from 60's tv who thought Damn was a swear word and building the great wall of china around children their entire pre-adult life will result in then not being able to deal with the 'fucks' and the like they will encounter out in the big bad world.

    Like you said, if parent take an active role in the childrens online activity and educate them to the dangers then a minimal exposure wont ruin them. I mean look at all of us, we all grew up with the internet, boring as it was back in the day, and we turned out just peachy.... well most of us.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


  7. #7
    DenSweeP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa, South Africa
    Posts
    3,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFenix22 View Post
    Like you said, if parent take an active role in the childrens online activity and educate them to the dangers then a minimal exposure wont ruin them. I mean look at all of us, we all grew up with the internet, boring as it was back in the day, and we turned out just peachy.... well most of us.
    But that's just it, most of us here I would assume were raised in home where the world wasn't nearly as liberal and open to things such as sex, drug and rock & roll(despite what the 60's think). We were raised with good and decent value sets and were far less exposed to the "evils" of the world. I almost want to venture a statement that it was easier to raise children 20 years ago, than it is today. Our parents learned from their parents and so on and so forth, but today's parents are raising kids in a whole new era and there are no definitive guidelines. Yes, obviously you still know what is right and wrong and teach this to your kids, but the level of exposure your kids have to the wrongs, is so much greater than we could possibly realise.

    Neo also said about parents not realising the risk, because they themselves are surfing porn etc. True, but there is another major factor today, that did not exist 20 years ago. Stay at home moms. I'm not saying all women shouldn't work or that they MUST stay home to raise the children, not by a long shot, but, and I think most would agree, it did work to raise far better behaved and more well adjusted kids. Problem is though, that most families today can't afford financially only one parent to earn the bucks and one to raise the kids. I'm sure there are many mothers or fathers that would love to stay at home, but sadly, for most that isn't a option.

    What I'm trying to say is it is and always will be the responsibility of the parents. Despite it being so much harder to raise kids, you the parent made the choice to have the kids, so you must step up and raise responsible kids. I think too many parents today are quick to blame video games, violent movies or TV for their childrens' bad behaviors, but fail to notice it is a lack of parenting that is making kids that way.

  8. #8
    The Legendary Troll Hunter OmegaFenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not here....
    Posts
    34,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DenSweeP View Post
    But that's just it, most of us here I would assume were raised in home where the world wasn't nearly as liberal and open to things such as sex, drug and rock & roll(despite what the 60's think). We were raised with good and decent value sets and were far less exposed to the "evils" of the world.
    Agreed but that didn't mean those "evils" weren't out there. Our parents just shielded us against them until we where ready to face them. My parents sure didn't let me do what I wanted or watch whatever I wanted but they also didn't lock me in a cage (figuratively speaking) with rules so strick that i couldn't watch Power Rangers.

    My arugment has always been that if you impose such strick rules on a child, I am talking the kind of parents who deny their children certain childrens tv shows (poke' mon, powerranger, drangon ball z... ect.), that once that child enters the real world he/she will be so use to those solid barriers (the rules of their parents) that use to stop them from watching XXX or getting piss drunk or doing drungs, that once they discover those rules are no longer there will not have the common sense to decide for themselfs what to do or not to do.
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"


  9. #9
    Local Boy Hunter Raven Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In hyur hat!
    Posts
    5,840

    Default

    Another part of problem is the severe lack discipline in kids. When I was 5 and I cried because mommy wouldn't buy me the shiney action man toy, I got the belt. My older sister's son can cry all he likes and gets everything he wants, and if you say "No, don't kick the dog!" he starts crying and gets a hug from mommy. AND my sister is a stay-at-home mom.

    The singularity is about to explode! Weapons are at maximum.

  10. #10
    DenSweeP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa, South Africa
    Posts
    3,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Gold View Post
    Another part of problem is the severe lack discipline in kids. When I was 5 and I cried because mommy wouldn't buy me the shiney action man toy, I got the belt. My older sister's son can cry all he likes and gets everything he wants, and if you say "No, don't kick the dog!" he starts crying and gets a hug from mommy. AND my sister is a stay-at-home mom.
    Then your sister is unfortunately a bad mom in enforcing discipline. And sadly that is a very common problem in new parents today. They are too scared or unable to enforce tough love.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •