Yes, yes, yes, we all want Diablo III, like, yesterday already. Well, maybe you do – honestly, I’ve decided to forget about it until it launches, so it’ll be this big surprise. The thing is, it’ll be done when it’s done, and not a moment sooner. And it’s definitely not done yet.
“Our job isn’t just to put out a game, it’s to release the next Diablo game. No one will remember if the game is late, only if it’s great,” writes game director Jay Wilson in a blog post over on the official Diablo III site.
“We trust in our ability to put out a great game, but we’re not quite there yet. In addition to finishing and polishing the content of the game we’re continuing to iterate on some of the core game systems.”
He goes on to talk about a bunch of significant and not-so-significant changes being made to the game in response to beta feedback, including:
- Identification scrolls have been binned. “We love the double-discovery of finding a present and then unwrapping it, but we don’t think it requires a physical item you have to find and keep in your bags to get the same effect,” explains Wilson.
- The fifth quick slot button is being replaced with a dedicated potion button.
- The Mystic Artisan is no longer in the game, because he “simply wasn’t adding anything to our customisation system”.
- The Cauldron of Jordan and the Nephalem Cube are out, and the blacksmith is now responsible for salvaging items. Also, white items are no longer salvageable.
- The Stone of Recall has been renamed Town Portal because that’s what it actually is.
- The Attack, Defense, and Precision attributes have been dropped, with the major character attributes now Strength, Dexterity, Intellect, and Vitality. “Armor is taking over for what Defense used to provide, +Physical Resist will take over for Armor, and +Chance to Crit will fill in for Precision,” says Wilson.
- Character stats are now shown on the inventory UI.
“All of these are changes that will in one way or another be seen in the latest beta patch,” adds Wilson. “And so we hope that those of you with access please try them out and let us know what you think in the Beta Feedback forum.”