As any self-respecting gamer has come to expect, scans of the latest GameInformer magazine have hit the internet, and they contain information about Assassin’s Creed 3.
Here’s a list of the important details revealed by the GameInformer article:
- New environments with all-new ways to exploit them.
- Cinematic presentation extends beyond combat and into a complex way of storytelling.
- Game will have the actual Mohawk (Iroquois) language in some scenes.
- Assassin’s Creed 3 has been in development for three years, giving it the series’ longest development time.
- A new camera system will focus on the best possible view of the action.
- Game will be running on a new version of the Anvil engine.
- The protagonist is the son of a Native American woman and a British soldier. He calls himself Connor but among those who raised him, his name is Ratohnhaké:ton.
- The story is of Templars vs Americans and is not about winning the war, but of the protagonist’s life.
- In contrast to Ezio, Connor is a freedom fighter who acts in the name of justice rather than personal revenge.
- Settings will include Boston, New York and a large countryside, expected to contribute to a third of the game and 1.5 times bigger than Rome in Brotherhood.
- Connor will fight on the American side, allied with George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Lee. This does not mean that the Americans are the good guys or that the British are the bad guys. Templars are everywhere.
- Assassin’s Creed 3 will feature natural seasons. Expect sunny summer days, and a snow-covered landscape in winter.
- Combat and stealth have been completely redesigned, with Connor being compared to a “predator”; able to climb trees and other natural elements. He will also be able to dual-wield weapons such as a dagger and tomahawk.
- Animals, such as deer and bears will be present in the woods. Players will be able to kill them and pelt their skins for trade in the reformed economic system of the game.
- There will be puzzles similar to The Truth, only not given by Subject 16.
- Desmond will go into the new Animus 3.0 and find himself entering significant events.
- 100% sync in memories will be returning, although this time players will be rewarded when memories are completed to 100%. Checkpoints will also be introduced to mission replay, allowing players to skip to what they’re missing to get the memory to 100% completion.
- The Brotherhood, or the Assassin’s Guild will return in a new form.
- Human shields are featured along with context-sensitive actions. No more target locking.
- A fast-travel system is featured.
- There will be no more Mercenaries, Thieves, Courtesans, Romani or other factions, but there will be a replacement for them.
- Den Defence will not be back.
- 2.5 hours of character interaction scenes.
While Assassin’s Creed 3 is believed to feature multiplayer, no new information on that has as yet been announced.
Assassin’s Creed 3 is shaping up to be a formidable entry into the series and while nothing is known about what DRM to expect on PC, Ubisoft will no doubt press on with its draconian copyright protection.