Along with news of the PlayStation 4, Sony revealed their new DualShock 4 controller and its accompanying PlayStation Eye.
It features a new six-axis sensor, a touch pad located on the front of the controller, a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, and a light bar on the top with three colour LEDs that illuminate in various colours. The light bar provides feedback to the player during gameplay, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken major damage.
Sony says it has worked to improve the feel of the left/right sticks and the trigger buttons.
The “SELECT” and “START” buttons from the DualShock 3 controller are now integrated into a new “OPTIONS” button. A “SHARE” has been added for social features.
The “SHARE button” allows gamers to easily broadcast their gameplay in real-time to friends through internet streaming services such as Ustream. Users can also share their triumphs and accomplishments by uploading video gameplay to Facebook with the “SHARE button”.
DualShock 4 specs
- Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Approx. 210g (tentative)
Keys / Switches
- PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button,
- Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2 button, Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3 button, Pad Button
- Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
- Motion Sensor Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, threeaxis accelerometer)
- Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker
- USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
- Bluetooth Ver2.1+EDR
- Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
- Voltage DC3.7V (tentative)
- Capacity 1000mAh (tentative)
PlayStation 4 Eye
PlayStation 4 Eye incorporates two high-sensitive cameras that have wide-angle lenses with 85-degree diagonal angle views which can recognize the depth of space. This enables PlayStation 4 Eye to cut out the image of a player from their background. Four microphones are also capable of accurate sound detection and source origination.
Users will be able to login to their PS4 with face recognition.
The PlayStation 4 Eye senses the colour of DualShock 4 light bar to judge the positions of multiple players, and set characters in the same positions or let a character talk to a particular player.
PlayStation 4 Eye also supports the PlayStation Move motion controller.
PlayStation 4 Eye specs
- Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)
- Approx. 183g (tentative)
- Pixel (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
- Video Frame Rate 1280×800 pixel @ 60fps
- 640×400 pixel @ 120fps
- 320×192 pixel @ 240fps
- Video Format RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
- Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
- Capture Range 30cm～∞
- Field-of-View 85°
- 4 Channel Microphone Array
- PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
- Approx. 2m (tentative)