Through a reader’s poll on Amazon UK, a large community has voted on the greatest game this generation, with some impressive results, as well as some interesting stats.
Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was selected as the best game this generation, while Naughty Dogs’ gritty survival-horror The Last of Us lands the runner-up spot.
Check out the winner and nominees below:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Skyrim has upped the ante in terms of longevity and open-world exploration, with its vast world, creative enemies and engaging gameplay.
The game won numerous Game of the Year awards, and deservedly so, as more than a year after its release, gamers are still engaged and slashing their way through the colossal-sized adventure.
The Last of Us
This new survival horror property from the creators of Uncharted (Naughty Dog) is the third-highest-scoring PS3 exclusive of all time, and is runner-up in this Game of the Generation vote.
While looking absolutely gorgeous and supported by a great story, the game also hits all the right notes in other departments and proves that Naughty Dog really knows how to design interesting and enjoyable games.
Grand Theft Auto IV
Gamers had high hopes for GTA IV, and Rockstar’s jump to the next-generation blew everybody away when they returned to Liberty City.
GTA IV’s scale and scope boggles the mind, and the technology used was years ahead of its competitors. GTA IV has set the bar incredibly high for GTA V.
The original Bioshock took an interesting setting and enthralling story, and threw them together with some great gameplay to produce one of the best games of the generation.
Bioshock’s incredible yet frightening underwater world of Rapture immediately captured the hearts and imaginations of gamers, not to mention the gorgeous art-style and impressive attention to details.
It’s amazing to think that Portal was the result of a freeware indie game experiment, Narbacular Drop, which turned into a gaming phenomenon.
The sequel expanded on the already-mind-bending concepts introduced in the original, and the addition of co-op pushed Portal 2 into the gaming hall-of-fame.
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Naughty Dog’s follow-up to the successful PS3 launch title was a daunting task, but the developers managed to excel in every department with Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.
The visuals, voice-acting, gameplay and Indiana-Jones-inspired escapades made Uncharted 2 an immediate hit and cemented Naughty Dog as one of the premier gaming studios in the industry.
Fallout 3 took the isometric world of Fallout and put it into the first-person view for a new generation.
The game maintained its retro-apocalyptic feel and presented gamers with a deeper and more interactive Fallout experience than ever before.
Red Dead Redemption
Take GTA and the Wild West, mash them together and throw in one of the best heroes ever, and you get Red Dead Redemption.
The dynamic and interesting world of Red Dead Redemption made gamers feel as if they were actual cowboys, giving them the opportunity to everything they dreamed of – from riding a horse to having standoffs.
Amazon also released some interesting facts produced from the voting:
- Released on December 2nd, 2005, Call of Duty 2 is the oldest title to receive a vote.
- Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us each received more votes than all of the Xbox 360 exclusives combined.
- Super Mario Galaxy was the most popular console exclusive, ahead of Uncharted 2.
- Released in June, The Last of Us is not only the most recent game to receive a vote, but also the most popular game that isn’t part of a series.
- With just one more vote, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood would’ve made the final 16 tournament.
- The only western with a vote, Red Dead Redemption received more votes than beat ‘em ups, football games and Call of Duty titles combined.
- Not living up to its name, Army of Two received just the one entry.
- Games that started out as downloadables, such as Limbo, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Bastion, all received votes, but Journey was the closest to crack the final 16.
- Votes also went for the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Persona 4 Golden.