Gaming site Rocket Chainsaw reports they have come across new information about Mirror’s Edge 2, and claim to have even seen new video footage of the game in development.
“The information comes courtesy of verified sources, and is accurate at time of writing, confirming details implied by DICE and EA staff in the past, as well as providing some new insight into what DICE is doing with the reboot of the Mirror’s Edge universe,” the site posted.
Here are some of the “new facts” the site reported on:
- The E3 2013 Mirror’s Edge 2 teaser was entirely real time and generally unscripted, including the combat systems.
- Target platforms are Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Mac.
- Core goal of the reboot is to create an open world, living, breathing city for you to explore.
- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, “always online” component. The open world is considered a multiplayer “playground” where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world.
- Other general multiplayer components include co-op and competitive modes, such as time trials.
- Mirror’s Edge 2 will include many AI opponents, some on equal footing to Faith. Among these are the standard cannon fodder Protectors, melee combat expert Sentinels, and armoured gun wielding Enforcers. We’ve been told that Faith does not have guns.
- Faith is able to push, punch, and kick enemies out of the way, over ledges, tables, and railings. These physics driven interactions are combined with 1-2-3 punch/kick style combos, wall running, flips, and other martial arts moves, as well as brief grapples. Occasionally a third person take-down move will be used when an enemy is beaten.
- The focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment. Even these changes to the combat system are being done to prevent issues with Mirror’s Edge where players would have a stretch of parkour with intermittent pace breaking stops to fight an opponent.
- Its target release date is in 2016.
Mirror’s Edge 2 on next-gen (or what will then be current gen) consoles in 2016 – are you excited? Let us know in the comments and forum.
Below is the E3 2013 teaser trailer for the game to remind you what could come to fruition.