Cell C has launched an online reality show titled Break the Net, featuring potential Internet stars competing for a prize of R250,000.
The show will consist of 30 contestants battling it out in an online content creation show and competing for the most views.
Entries will be open to all South Africans from 15 September to 16 October, with the show being broadcast from 16 October until 11 December 2016.
“How and where content is delivered to consumers is changing dramatically in South Africa as Internet access becomes more pervasive,” said Cell C CEO Jose Dos Santos.
“As an innovator, Cell C is taking its first steps into playing a role in the production and delivery of incredible content.”
The show will feature a lineup of popular South African celebrities, including Suzelle DIY, Ofentse Mwatse, and Darren “Whackhead” Simpson as The Taskmaster.
Derek Watts and the Sunday Blues will anchor the online show.
How to enter
- Download the Cell C Reality app from your app store.
- Open the Cell C Reality app, and select #BreakTheNet.
- Then go to “Enter Competition” and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Create your profile and upload a one-minute video.
- Entries are open from 15 September to 15 October.
How it works
- The 30 chosen contestants will be given 5 challenges for the next 8 weeks starting from 23 October.
- Contestants will have 48 hours to create and upload their video, and then try and get it to go viral. The winner will be the contestant with the highest amount of views.
- Watch, share and like the videos on the Cell C Reality App and you will earn Cell C reward points, which can be redeemed for data.
Contestants will earn prizes for completing the first four tasks of the competition.
The overall winner of the event will receive a grand prize of R250,000 and an all-expenses paid trip to Hollywood.
Break the Net will kick off at 19:00 on Sunday 23 October and will be broadcasted on the Cell C YouTube channel.