The inaugural YouTube Sub-Saharan Africa Creator Awards took place in Sandton this November.
The awards were given across 22 categories for users with a minimum of 50 000 subscribers in Tanzania, Ghana, Uganda, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Nigeria and Senegal, confirming that African content on YouTube has been steadily growing.
Unsurprisingly, Suzelle DIY was amongst the winners, alongside South African animations Supa Strikas and Rams Comics.
It is worth noting that Suzelle is nowhere close to the most subscribed South African – that honour belongs to teen sensation Caspar Lee, who racked up more than 6.5 million subscribers.
Yellow Brick Cinema, a vlog dedicated to helpings South African de-stress came in a distant second place to Lee with just over 1,000,000 subscribers.
You can check out the full list of award winners (as well as African winners) below:
- Broadcaster: Channels Television
- Comedy: Kansiime Anne
- Education: Retutpro Photography and Photoshop Tutorials
- Entertainment: NdaniTV
- Fitness: Six Pack Factory
- Games: Slushy AJ
- News and politics: Millard Ayo
- Nonprofit: Jim Nduruchi
- People and blogs: Suzelle DIY
- Pets and animals: Earth Touch
- Top subscribed creator in Uganda: Kansiime Anne
- Top subscribed creator in Ghana: Official Sarkodie
- Top subscribed creator in Kenya: Churchill Show
- Top subscribed creator in Nigeria: Mark Angel Comedy
- Top subscribed creator in Senegal: Prince Arts
- Top subscribed creator in Tanzania: Diamond Platnumz
- Top subscribed creator in Zimbabwe: Mufti Menk
- Top subscribed Nollywood channel: IbakaTV / Nollywood