Epic Games has achieved in running the company’s impressive Unreal Engine on HTML 5 browsers.
Firefox Nightly (version 23 or higher) is recommended to run the Unreal demo, Epic Citadel HTML 5, but other browsers which meet the requirements will work.
Epic listed some browsers, and the problems they’re currently experiencing:
- Nightly Firefox is recommended, and can be downloaded at http://nightly.mozilla.org/.
- Release Firefox will function, however it is slower than Firefox Nightly.
- Chrome currently crashes, but is expected to be resolved by the Chrome team soon.
- Internet Explorer does not support WebGL in current versions.
- Opera WebGL must be manually activated, however it is not currently compatible with Epic Citadel.
- Safari WebGL must be manually activated. While Epic Citadel is not currently compatible with Safari, we are investigating adding support in the future.
With Unreal Engine 3 successfully running through a browser, it opens up a number of opportunities to bring more high-end games to web browsers, and in turn, to tablets and mobile devices.
To play the Epic Citadel demo, check out the Unreal Engine page.