Mortal Kombat X is fast approaching, and our fingers have had to hit the gym in preparation for some combo-stringing, delectable fatalities and those stupendous brutalities. With every Mortal Kombat comes a new wave of fighters, arenas, fatalities and more gore than we thought even NetherRealm Studios is comfortable with. Mortal Kombat X is no different.
Along with the original fighters from the franchise, Mortal Kombat X has a few new fighters that have yet to appear in any iteration thus far. There will be a total of 24 playable fighters at launch, and an additional five can be unlocked via in game progression. Four additional characters will be released via DLC, and one character, Goro, will only be available via pre-order.
- Cassie Cage
- Daughter of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade.
- Female Kytinn, hails from Outworld, serves Kotal Kahn
- Ferra & Torr
- Serves Kotal Kahn, works alongside D’Vorah
- Jacqueline Briggs
- Daughter of Jax Briggs.
- Kotal Kahn
- Served under Shao Kahn’s command, now at war with Mileena and Reiko for Outworld
- Member of the Black Dragon, debuted in Mortal Kombat: Special Forces
- Kung Lao
- Quan Chi
- Kung Jin
- Takashi Takeda
- Johnny Cage
- Sonya Blade
- Liu Kang
- Goro (preorder)
Each fighter will come with three alternative costumes at launch, also known as character variations. These costumes are more than simply subtle changes between each, but rather focus on an alternative realm design. More than that, perhaps most importantly in fact, different variations on a character change their combat style somewhat. Some add or subtract abilities and tweak stats as well as a few other things. It should make for some fantastic competitive growth, or at least allow those who really get into the game to take it that much further.
What is a fighter without his arena? These are the confirmed stages so far. We wouldn’t put it past NetherRealm to add a few more. They’ve already added an absurd amount of content to Mortal Kombat X.
- Dead Woods
- The Kove
- Outworld Marketplace
- Kuatan Jungle
- Refugee Camp
- Destroyed City
- Lin Kuei Headquarters
- White Lotus Temple
- Brotherhood of Shadow Headquarters
- Elder God Stage
- Kotal Kahn’s Palace
Factions are a new way of playing Mortal Kombat X that utilises every player’s progress through the many modes offered as well as competitive player versus player. Each player will choose from one of five factions: White Lotus, Brotherhood of Shadow, Blacl Dragon, Special Forces or Lin Kuei. Participating in single player activities or multiplayer matches will earn points for your faction; at the end of the week, the winning faction will earn special rewards in-game.
- Mortal Kombat X’s single player storyline will last around 4-6 hours.
- There will be a 2GB day one patch that will improve online stability, add multiplayer improvements and fix bugs
- You will need an active PlayStation Plus of Xbox Gold subscription to participate in multiplayer.
- We know that the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game have been delayed until July, 2015.
- The PS4 and Xbox One versions will both run at 1080p 60fps.
- The game was built using a highly customized version of the Unreal Engine 3.
- Each character will have three variations that will add different abilities (for example Special Moves) to their set of common attacks. Examples: Inferno Scorpion, Ninjutsu Scorpion, Swarm Queen D’Vorah, Cryomancer Sub-Zero. Ninjutsu Scorpion adds unique attacks utilizing dual swords.
- Arenas contain interactive elements similar to those found in Injustice: Gods Among Us.
- There will be over 100 brutalities in Mortal Kombat X. These are similar to fatalities only more violent and far gorier, so they’re better.
- Brutalities require certain conditions to be met on the fight before they can be executed.
Moral Kombat X releases on April 14th, 2015 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are set for release in June, 2015
So there you have it, it’s almost everything that matters when it comes to cracking someone over the head with their own spine. Are you looking forward to the launch of Mortal Kombat X? Let us know in the comments and forum.Forum discussion