Ubisoft has rolled out a patch for Watch Dogs PC via Uplay and Steam. It’s not a massive update, at around 60MB on Steam and 14MB on Uplay
The patch has caused some further consternation among players as to what it has fixed, whether it did anything at all, or made things worse.
One of the more glaring problems some PC gamers have been facing is the stuttering performance of the game, an issue for which adjusting graphics settings and resolution does not appear to have much affect.
My personal experience with the patch, having explored the updated version of Watch Dogs for about 30 minutes yesterday evening: it appears to run better on my native resolution (Full HD) than at launch, but the performance paradox is still there, with not much framerate difference between the low and high settings (I do not have enough VRAM to explore “Ultra” territory). The wildly fluctuating framerates and stuttering performance remain for me, which is a pity because there are times when the game is visually compelling and I’d really like to get stuck into the gameplay without immersion breaking performance problems.
One thing the patch certainly does is overwrite the files use by modders to re-enable graphical effects last seen during the E3 2012 Watch Dogs vertical slice presentation. Ubisoft has weighed in with their opinion of this mod: Watch Dogs PC mod will damage gameplay – Ubisoft
Ubisoft did not issue any patch notes with their PC rollout, but presumably it was intended to address issues they previously alluded to:
Major Game Fixes
- Automatically reconstructed corrupted save files which prevented loading to go further than 90%. Some collectibles may remain unrecoverable.
- Fixed the issue preventing players from using hacks in game.
- Fixed several mission-breaking bugs.
- Fixed minor mission and item-related issues.
- Fixed the issue that caused the empty weapon-wheel.
- Fixed several minor respawn issues.
- Fixed some connection and session joining issues.
PC Specific Fixes
- Fixed graphical glitches on Low and Medium settings.
- Fixed some crashes on SLI configurations.
- Implemented several performance improvements.
- Implemented a few control improvements.
- Fixed issues causing infinite messaging and timing-out when trying to access the Online Shop from the Extras Menu while Uplay is set to Offline mode.
- Fixed issues connecting to a Multiplayer game.
- Implemented several mouse modifications.
- Fixed “Drinking Game” control issue where wrong information was displayed when played with a gamepad.
- Fixed “Chess Game” control issue.
- Fixed bug where the invasion setting was never saved.
- Fixed graphical issues during cut scenes and cinematics.
- Fixed several graphical and texture bugs.
- Removed Vista OS check to prevent false positives.
- Added game version in main menu.
Have you tried Watch Dogs on PC with its latest patch? What do you think of the performance? Let us know in the comments and forum.