StarCraft Universe, a fan-made mod that that turns StarCraft 2 into a fully-fledged multiplayer role-playing game, has just entered open beta.
It is the most advanced modification ever created for StarCraft 2, completely overhauling the base game in order to provide a third-person role-playing experience within the universe of StarCraft.
The game has been in development since 2011 and was fully funded on Kickstarter. It is now finally leading up to launch and is freely available to play on the StarCraft Arcade.
Despite requiring a StarCraft 2 installation to play, gamers do not even need to buy a copy of the game – they can simply download the free Starter Edition and install the mod.
Below is an outline of StarCraft Universe’s main features:
- Up to 6-player multiplayer raids.
- Fully voice-acted characters and dialogue.
- Procedurally-generated storylines and missions.
- Command and crew a ship with other players, Star Trek-style.
- 8 playable classes, Terran or Protoss.
- Vehicle combat.
- Fly and explore distant planets with your squad or alone.
You can head over here to find out more about the game, or check out the trailers below.